Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Catholic Scouting Rosary Patches

Something I wanted to do for a very long time now is to help my children earn the rosary patches offered by the National Catholic Committee on Scouting. However, I had never seen one in person, only online. I didn't even really know where to begin. Although I wish I could say we said our daily rosary still, I can't. We used to be diligent and say it every night as a family then we would go through times of crazy busyness and it wouldn't get done. I wish we still did. Most of the time it's just me saying the rosary as I'm driving or perhaps as I'm about to fall asleep in my bed at night. My husband once asked, before he became Catholic, why we just said those "chants" all the time. Why didn't we just say prayers? Well, the rosary is prayer. Not to say that you cannot pray anytime, anywhere or anyway you want to. However, when you're crazy busy, life is overwhelming, you're exhausted or completely stressed out, the routine, the habit, the repetitiveness of the rosary prayers is amazingly comforting, it builds the habit of prayer and soothes the restless soul. I love the rosary and am delighted that these beautiful patches are available.
Unfortunately, my camera (or perhaps it's the photographer) is a bit challenged when taking close up shots of the individual patches. They are larger and more lovely than I thought. Each one measures about 5" in diameter. There is plenty of gold thread throughout to emphasize different features. I really think they are beautiful. To earn these patches, you have to answer a few simple questions about the various aspects of the life of Christ corresponding to the mysteries of the rosary. There are various levels, for example, the first grader is not going to answer the same questions as the high school student. However, I like to think my first grader could answer most if not all the high school questions. After you complete the questions, you place an order at http://nccs-bsa.org/activities/index.php . It's not difficult, the patches are beautiful, and you can take another step in your faith. Or if you are in the neighborhood, Fr. Gregory Beaumont of Holy Family Church in Hanford is offering a few more presentations on the rosary. I was fortunate to attend one of his presentations, watched a beautiful slide show of the various Joyful Mysteries, met some very nice people, shared a meal together and enjoyed myself immensely. The Luminous Mysteries will be presented on Wednesday, April 4th, 2012 and the Glorious Mysteries on Sunday, May 6th, 2012 at Holy Family Church in Hanford. Hopefully, I can arrange to attend another presentation. Maybe I'll see someone I know there!

No comments:

Post a Comment