Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 18-Children's Storybooks

The other day while playing on Pinterest I came across this post by The Careless Catholic http://www.thecarelesscatholic.com/2011/11/books-advent-christmasand-beyond.html
I was so inspired by her book selection that I immediately checked our family bookshelves and decided we didn't have enough Christmas books to last through Advent with a daily read so I hit the library.  I really hit the library hard and came back with a huge stack of Christmas reading.  Now, some parents are organized and wrap the books in pretty purple and pink and even gold paper to indicate the parts of Advent.  They even number the books with the date or sequential order.  I'm forgoing all that and spending time reading.  Lots and lots of reading.  At first, the 8 year old dismissed the books as too easy and not worth reading.  He insisted neither he or his younger brother would be interested.  However, as I pull out a book and begin reading they immediately drop their toys and gather around.  Luckily, Daddy stepped up and pulled out "The Cajun Night Before Christmas" and read to them using his best cajun accent and they were enraptured by it.  Definitely a tradition that we have to build on and keep going.  I love books, especially children's books and this was a perfect fit for our family.  Now to re-check the shelves and see what I'll need to update for the coming year.  I love this idea and think it would be fun to do at Easter as well.  Maybe I'll even wrap a few books by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment